History of Saint Mary's Catholic Church
1874-1888: Father Hordeman came from Kokomo to serve Frankfort. In 1875 Frankfort became a regular mission having Mass celebrated once a month.
1888-1892: Father Hordeman was replaced by the Franciscan Fathers of Lafayette.
1892-1898: Father John Blum was the first resident pastor. In 1896 a new church was built at Second and Walnut Streets. Shortly thereafter, Father Blum was reassigned and the Franciscan Fathers again served St. Mary’s as a mission, having Masses two Sundays a month until 1898.
1898-1906: In September 1898, Father P.J. O’Reilly was appointed resident pastor and a new rectory was built at 401 W. Walnut Street. Nine months later, Father F.J. Jansen replaced Fr. O’Reilly.
1906-1948: Father W.B. Hordeman was assigned in October 1906, and he was named a Monsignor in 1911. The building at 450 W. Clinton became the Community House for parish and society functions. It also served as the church from 1944 to 1948 when fire damaged the existing church. In October 1948, Monsignor Hordeman’s funeral was the first in the renovated church.
1949-1961: Father Leo Scheetz succeeded Monsignor Hordeman on February 19, 1949. A new parochial school was completed in September 1951 and was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph.
1961-1974: Father Charles Muller was appointed Pastor in June, 1961. Property was purchased at 1801 E. Wabash, and our present church and rectory were constructed and dedicated in September 1968 under the title of the Immaculate Conception. In 1969 Gruber Hall was dedicated, followed by the closing of our school due to the loss of the St. Joseph Sisters. Father Muller died on March 14, 1974. During his pastorate, he was assisted by Fathers Salvatore Lombardo, Francis Craven and Robert Kronenberg.
1974-1984: Father Thomas Zimmer arrived on May 1, 1974. Muller Hall was built in 1976.
1984-1995: Father Joseph Ruffing was appointed. New classrooms were added to Muller Hall.
1995-2007: Father Gerald Borawski was appointed Pastor in June 1995
1996: A Mass in Spanish began to be celebrated twice a month.
2000: The 125th Anniversary of the parish was celebrated.
2001: The John Paul II Education Center was dedicated by Bishop Higi.
2001: A Mass in Spanish began to be celebrated every Sunday.
2007: Father Christopher Miller is appointed Pastor in July, 2007.
Fr. Victor Sullivan (deceased), Fr. Joseph Grace, Fr. David Rasner, Fr. John Zahn, Fr. Dominic Young, Fr. Bruce Riebe, Brother Colombian O’Bryan, Sr. Mary Frances, Sr. Mary Catherine, Titus O.P. (Mary Titus); Sr. Mary Rita, Titus O.P. (Aimee Titus); and Sr. Martha Ann, Titus O.P. (Martha Titus).